Yuvanashva's tale - of the flesh and soul

I have just finished Devdutt Pattanaik's The Pregnant King. Should have finished it on Sunday, but pending tasks, then work happened and I finally finished the last 50 pages today. And though its past bedtime according to the new schedule, I can not keep these thoughts inside me. So What the heck. Here I go.


The book felt challenging, first I had a tough time getting the pronunciation of Yuvanashva correct. Otherwise the way it presented warped realities, skewed thoughts, it really was a challenge to keep up with the questions raised and the answers sought. Though I don't think the book was about answers of any kind. It was of flesh and the soul. Of matter and spirituality. Of conflicting ideas and constant change. 


And it was fascinating to see how the story runs parallel to the war of Kuru-kshetra. Blending the flavors of Mahabharata with the pained lives of Yuvanashva, Somvati, Sumedha, Simantini (loved the name!!), Mandhata, Jayanta, Shilavati (It must have been tough being a female ruler no?). I am still in their world, enchanted by their quests and lives. Oh, why do books get over so soon ? :)


I highly highly recommend it if one doesn't mind mythological tales.


Btw whose story was it ? Yuvanashva, Ila, Somvati or Shilavati ? I am still wondering.


~nightflier


P.S. Story behind how I picked this book. Had seen Devdutt Pattanaik's TED talk last year. Was quite intrigued by his concepts. And then a friend generously praised the book on fb. So while browsing through Flipkart for this month's 2 books, my eyes fell on the book and pronto it was ordered :)

5 comments:

  1. wow!! you do read books at a high frequency *bows down with respect!* .
    and btw, it is 4.30 pm here, that means 5 am in india when i got a new post update from you.. I hope 5 am is not your bedtime :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book. After this I had picked up Mithya which is less on story but high on concepts and I love that as well ! And I got this book cos a guy I thought was cute mentioned it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yamini..
    Kudos to u gal.. seriously like Neha says... book reading frequency is amazing...:)
    By the way I seek motivation to read from you......
    I am all excited bout our trip...
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neha: lots of time spent in bus travel helps :) and you got the update late..I slept at 11.30 :D

    Upasna: cute guy reference! iLike ;) Will pick up mithya sometime soon..

    Snita: I am glad girl :) and can't wait either.. need to do some serious planning :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My reading list just keeps increasing thanks to you and Upasna!!!

    ♡ from © tanvii.com

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate the comments. Thank you!!